Bios for JoAnn Wagner
JoAnn Wagner is the award-winning author of the celebrated children’s books Sir Pigglesworth’s Adventure Series. There are 8 books in the series so far with more in the works. The books are targeted to children ages 6-9.
JoAnn Wagner is the author of the popular Sir Pigglesworth Adventure Series for children ages 6-9.
Sir Pigglesworth has become an unstoppable life force since her first book was published in 2014. JoAnn has continued the piglet’s mission of sharing smiles around the world through a series of fun illustrated chapter books for children. She has published eight adventures so far, all of which won First Place in the Royal Dragonfly Awards for Children’s Chapter Series in 2016. She also won First Place for Children’s Series from the Texas Authors Association in 2017. Two weeks after Book 8 was released in July 2018, it won the Pinnacle Book Achievement Award. She and Sir Pigglesworth have a full itinerary of new travels and more exciting adventures coming soon.
JoAnn Wagner is the award-winning author and creative force behind the wildly popular Sir Pigglesworth Adventure Series for children.
Sir Pigglesworth has become an unstoppable life force since her first book was published in September 2014. JoAnn has continued the piglet’s mission of sharing smiles around the world through a series of fun illustrated chapter books for children. She has now published eight adventures so far, which won First Place in the Royal Dragonfly Awards for Children’s Chapter Series in 2016. She also won First Place for Children’s Series from the Texas Authors Association in 2017 for the series. Two weeks after the release of Book 8 in July 2018, it won the Pinnacle Book Achievement award.
All eight of her books are now available in Spanish and have won First Place in Spanish Children’s Series from the Texas Authors Association in 2018. JoAnn has been interviewed on several radio shows over the last 3 years and is looking forward to bringing Sir Pigglesworth to TV shows as well. You can also look on YouTube to see filmed interviews. She was featured in a 4-page spread in the December 2016 issue of Story Monsters Ink magazine. She does book readings to kids at schools, churches, daycare centers and libraries. She has also presented workshops for middle school children on how to outline and write a book and entertained a gathering of the Altrusa International service group with a talk about her author journey.
JoAnn is an active member of the Texas Authors Association, AuthorYou organization, National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) and the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators among others. She is married with 5 children, 6 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. They keep her busy and happy. She even gave them a role in Book 2. She was born in New York but came to Texas as soon as she could! She was in the medical field at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas for 30 years before fast-tracking her retirement to become an author.
JoAnn’s hobbies include reading (all genres), cooking, playing with her grandkids, game nights, writing, and of course traveling. She loves having dinner parties because she gets to practice new recipes on her friends. She thinks she must be a good cook because they keep coming back for more! As for reading, she always asks ‘what do people do in their spare time if they don’t read?’ She even reads while walking on her treadmill.
She and Sir Pigglesworth have a full itinerary of new travels and more exciting adventures coming soon. Her pink friend is English, so she’s taking him home to London in Book 10. In Book 11, she’s taking Sir Pigglesworth on an African safari…just imagine what playful mischief he can get into with all the animals!
JoAnn’s journey as an author began in May 2014 when her pastor gave the church members a pink flying pig stress ball and asked them to post pictures on Facebook so the congregation would know where they are spending their vacation. Instead of posting pictures of herself, she asked everyone she met if she could take their picture and post it. People loved meeting Sir Pigglesworth and smiled and laughed, telling her how adorable they thought he was. She started posting little quotes with the pig doing various fun things and soon her friends told her they and their kids were looking forward to seeing what Sir Pigglesworth was up to next…A STAR WAS BORN!
The entire series is now available in Kindle, hardcover and paperback versions. They are also available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and wherever books are sold. The complete series is available in Spanish.
Fun Facts You Didn’t Know About Me:
- There was always sand between the pages of my schoolbooks because I lived in Puerto Rico as a pre-teen and did my homework on the beach every day – and had a killer tan!
- I won an award in 5th grade for being the only one in the class to be able to recite the entire Catechism from front to back and back to front in correct order…(if only my memory were that good today!)
- My family went to the airport see the Blue Angels perform and I ended up in a picture on the front page of the San Juan newspaper in 1964 because I ran out from behind the police barriers onto the tarmac so I could get an autograph from the pilots. No clue where the autograph is today.
- I’ve become adventurous in my ‘golden years’ and have zip-lined across the Caribbean Sea in Haiti, braved indoor sky diving (I WILL jump from a plane one day!), kissed a stingray in Grand Cayman, took to the skies on a hot air balloon ride in Albuquerque and parasailed in Jamaica recently. I’m trying hard to rival Sir Pigglesworth – he keeps me on my toes!
- I’m a diehard fan of the Dallas Cowboys and in past years have gone to Cowboys Stadium just so I could ‘breathe the same air as Emmitt Smith’!
- More than 30 years ago, I had an impromptu singing session performing backup with Dionne Warwick in the ladies restroom at Kennedy Airport. Apparently she wasn’t impressed…she didn’t hire me!